Scholarship Awards: Through its annual grants and scholarship programme, Oriental Energy provides merit-based awards for secondary and tertiary education of high-achieving scholars from its host communities. The awards cover the tuition fees for the duration of their academic programmes. Fifty new awards are made each year. To date, Oriental Energy has given scholarship awards to 470 beneficiaries. This creates a more informed and skilled human capital in the communities.
Support for the University of Uyo: In 2012, Oriental Energy intervened and supported the University of Uyo to secure full re-accreditation of the Departments of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering from the Nigeran Universities Commission and the Council for the Regulation of Engineering Practice in Nigeria (COREN). The company provided funds for the:
- Renovation and equipping of Chemical Engineering and Petroleum Engineering Departments;
- Update and stocking of the Chemical Engineering and Petroleum Engineering Departmental Libraries, respectively;
- Payment for a 5-year contract for the supply of contemporary academic journals and textbooks for the Chemical Engineering and Petroleum Departmental libraries, respectively;
- Payment for a 5-year contract for the supply of consumables in the Chemical Engineering and Petroleum Engineering laboratories, respectively;
- Supply of 60KVA generator to power the Chemical Engineering and Petroleum Engineering Departments;
- Payment for 5-year maintenance contract for the generator.
Ebughu Science Laboratory: To encourage science, technology, engineering and mathematics education in our host communities, Oriental Energy invested in 2014 provided fund for the construction of three science laboratories (i.e. physics, chemistry and biology) in a government secondary school in Ebughu, Mbo Local Government Area. The laboratories and related facilities will be completed and fully equipped in 2018.
Effiat Teachers Quarters: To address the issue of teachers’ retention and willingness to accept their posting to the secondary school in the coastal community of Effiat, Oriental Energy committed to the construction and equipping of a block of accommodation consisting of 14 en-suite rooms in the community.